Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Still "Emergency on planet earth"


This is my interpretation of a 2017 version of the 1993 Jamiroquai album "Emergency on planet Earth"

On May 17, 1993. 24 years ago, something epic and magic happened on my musical world map. For many years I had been into jazz, funk and soul and I had been chasing rare vinyl albums in strange record stores since my early teens. Suddenly this album "Emergency on planet Earth" landed on my turntable and a lot of dots connected. Suddenly the music I loved for it's groovy ear catching quality carried a message of purpose. Not just the usual text subjects but danceable music that actually at the same time made you think. In the middle of this small revolution (in my book) stood the amazing Jay Kay who in some way managed to merge funk with a purpose. He displayed the coolest style in a mix of sporty, hippie and funky, and he could dance like never seen before. I was blown away and many years later when I first sketched the idea to my story universe Rebel Nature, it was actually to the sound of Jamiroquai.
Jamiroquai and Jay Kay represents the perfect picture of the situation our civilisation is facing right now. They amplify the knowledge about our planet and environment and the epic challenges we face yet at the same time they have a party and dance the worries away. Living the dream with fast cars, private jets and models in bikinis.
When raising kids they do what you do, not what you say, so in this case we tent to hear the music, have the party, dream about the star life and then forget the purpose.

If this post ever reached Jay Kay, I would beg Jamiroquai to reissue "Emergency on planet Earth" in a 2017 version or 2018 making it a 25 years anniversary, and have Jay Kay drive a electric supercar.

Here is a link for the video that is still depressingly relevant here in 2017.
Jamiroquai/Emergency on Planet Earth(1993)


1 comment:

  1. Apart from catering to the local needs, we also export our high-quality footwear to Europe and America markets. Diabetic shoes are specially manufactured shoes intended to provide protection for diabetic feet and diminish the threat of skin breakdown.

    ReplyDelete